Medical DeviceQualified Supplier Directory
Qualifications: ISO 13485, ISO 9001, CGMP Certified, Supplier to Medical Manufacturers, Exhibitor in at least 2 MD&M and/or MEDTEC shows
Markets Supplied: North America, Europe, Worldwide
Lubricious, Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Coating Solutions for Medical Devices...
Lubricious, Hydrophilic and Hydrophobic Coating Solutions for Medical Devices
Formacoat® is a creative biomedical company specializing in application of hydrophilic, hydrophobic and other custom coatings as a contract manufacturing service. We offer coatings from the full range of different brands, chemistries, and types of coatings. Formacoat draws from its extensive experience and this array of different technologies and coating vendors to help its customers find the best, most cost efficient and technologically appropriate coating for their application all at single efficient source.
Click HERE to request a sample.
In our offerings from different coating vendors, we have different thermal cure and UV cure technologies possible to choose from. When starting out with initial comparative studies we can do comparison friction testing to augment your own functional testing.
Our wide range of knowledge and expertise in coating process development results in scalable application processes, equipment and device specific tooling for effective coating. This gives an edge to our customers who are searching for the best, most appropriate coating for their device.
- New! Roll-to-Roll Film Coating with medical device coatings:
- Up to 17" (43cm) wide
- Depending on the film thickness, hundreds of yards in length.
- This technology may also be extendable to mesh and screen materials.
- Plasma Surface Preparation:
- New! Multi-gas capable commercial plasma
- Chamber capacity up to 68" (172cm) long in a straight configuration.
Atmospheric plasma options for select needs
- OD coated products (catheters and tubing, etc.)
- We have significantly increased our batch capacity for many products, allowing lower per unit pricing.
- For our most standard coatings process development and R&D trials can likely be minimized, reducing the overall cost and time to get to commercial production.
- ID coated products:
- Specialized processes and equipment for products needing hydrophilic hydrogel ID coating.
Medical Device Coating Types
Because Formacoat is independent, we can work with a wide variety of coating types. These include:
- Traditional Hydrogels: The main class of hydrophilic coatings called "hydrogels." A hydrogel coating absorbs water and swells upon contact with water. These wetted polymers are what give these coatings their lubricous feel and excellent friction reducing properties.
- Niche Hydrophilic coatings:
- Micro-hydrophilic coatings: These are thinner coatings that do not swell appreciably on contact with water but that do present a robust hydrophilic surface that can be used in certain situations to good effect to reduce the contact angle on a substrate. They are not lubricity enhancing coatings.
- Nano-hydrophilic coatings: Do not swell on contact with water, so they are not lubricious but they can reduce the contact angle to good effect for certain specialized needs.
- Nano-hydrophilic Plasma deposited nano-thickness coatings work on metal alloys. They are extremely durable and can coat ID's to tremendous length to ID ratios.
- Nano-hydrophilic liquid applied coatings: These nano-thicknesses, non-ceramic inorganic coatings, may work better on more substrates but as niche coatings have more limited applications.
- Hydrophobic coatings:
- Several Low temperature annealing varieties suitable for some applications.
- These are not the classic, pigmented varieties that require high temperatures to anneal such as found on metal guidewires.
Medical Device Types
Formacoat's experience includes coating the inner and outer diameters, or the complex component shapes, of the following medical device types with anti-microbial properties, among others:
- Films up to 17" (41 cm) wide
- Drug Delivery Catheters
- Stent Delivery-System Catheters
- Embolic Capture Devices
- Medical Device Balloons
- Component Level Materials
- Hypo Tubes
- Micro-well plates
- IOL Insertion Cartridges and other ophthalmic devices
- And, in some situations, medical device Implants
Medical Device Substrates
With an array of vendors and their diverse technologies to choose from for you, we are not limited to what any one coating vendor's abilities and limitations are. From this broad spectrum, we can pick from the best materials and technologies for your substrate and application. Materials from PVC, Polyethylene, Polyurethane, PEBAX® to new materials like PebaSlix, to Aramids and Silicones, polymers, metals, etc. Just as potentially hydrophilic "coatable" device types are numerous, medical device compatible substrates have a broad range as well. Options include (but aren’t limited to) the following:
- Polymers With Radio Opaque Fillers
- Metals: SS/Nitinol
For more information contact Formacoat LLC