Medical DeviceQualified Supplier Directory
David Schnur Associates Inc. Company Profile
Qualifications: ISO 13485, ISO 9001, FDA Registered, CGMP Certified, Supplier to Medical Manufacturers, Exhibitor in at least 2 MD&M and/or MEDTEC shows
Markets Supplied: North America, Europe
DSA has supplied Engineered material solutions to the West's medical device, electronics, aerospace, graphic arts, high technology and industrial companies for over 20 years. Nine offices serve the Western and Mountain states i...
DSA has supplied Engineered material solutions to the West's medical device, electronics, aerospace, graphic arts, high technology and industrial companies for over 20 years. Nine offices serve the Western and Mountain states in the U.S., Northern Mexico, and British Columbia.
DSA offers the widest selection of fluoropolymer, thermoplastic, thermoset and elastomeric tubings, with an emphasis on custom extrusion of medical grade and high performance plastics.
- Wire-reinforced shafts
- Rod/optical fiber
- Single-lumen in sizes from 25 microns to several inches
- Custom profiles
- Spiral-cut tubing
- Convoluted tubing
- Close tolerances
- Bump tubing
- Colors in solid or combinations
- Straight or spiral stripes
Heat Shrinkable Tubing
Manufactured from a variety of polymers, heat shrink tubings are used for product and manufacturing applications including electrical insulation, mechanical reinforcement, encapsulation, marking and identification. They are available in standard or long continuous lengths and in precision cut pieces.
Needles, Instruments & Hypo-tubing
DSA focuses on OEM surgical entry devices, sampling needles and probes for medical devices and analytical chemistry. These capabilities have also found wide industrial use for fluid transfer and filling. We specialize in the FDA registered contract manufacture and assembly of laparoscopic instruments and sub-assemblies.
Tubing, Needles and Cannulae
DSA's principals fabricate many types of needles and instruments from stainless steels, exotic metals and plastics. We carry a large inventory of hypodermic tubing, hubs, fittings, wire and other components to assure rapid turnaround on your requirements. Close tolerance run-out, dimensional and surface finish specifications are welcomed.
A wide variety of technologies are available in-house, including:
- CNC turning and milling
- CNC EDM and precision mechanical drilling
- CNC Laser welding and plasma arc welding
- CNC Grinding (surface and centerless)
- Swaging, honing and tumbling
- Brazing and soldering
- Chemical and Laser Marking
- Ultrasonic cleaning and passivation
- Precision bead / abrasive blasting
- Proprietary finishing and polishing processes
- Thermal induction for plastic-to metal bonding
Design assistance from experienced biomedical and manufacturing engineers is available.
Trocars, Tunnelers and Pins
These solid instruments are made from stainless steels, aluminum and nitinol wire or bar, and range in size from 0.008" (200 microns) to over 0.500" (12.7 mm) in diameter. They often feature a cutting point or blade on the distal end of many configurations, and a variety of designs such as a handle, finger button, barb, or threaded fitting on the back or proximal end. DSA's principals achieve the sharpest cutting edges and points on these devices with a tight focus on the surface finish of the body.
Springs and Coils
Capabilities include high volume and R&D production of the following:
- Consistent OD Coils +/- 0.0002"
- Coil ODs from 0.012" to 0.080"
- Single and multi-lead winding
- Continuous winding lengths for polymer extrusion
- Variable pitch winding
- Post-winding polymer coating
PTFE Coated Mandrels
304 SS Fine Wire Mandrels in stock from .004" - .060", PTFE coated and uncoated wire. Quick turn, low minimum orders.
New proprietary technology permits coating of fine wire with a thin, smooth, pinhole-free finish of Teflon®-PTFE fluoropolymer resin to provide release or slip properties and/or electrical insulation.
Mandrels and Guidewires
DSA's principal combines the highest technology in CNC controlled equipment and master grinders with decades of experience. Product capabilities include:
- CNC Grinding to < 0.002" over a full length corewire
- Grinding tolerances to +/- 0.0002" in metals and plastics
- Diameters from < 0.002" to > 0.250"
- Step mandrels with two or more diameters: precise transitions and interior lengths
- Tapered mandrels with long transitions between diameters and strict tolerances on configurations
- "D" mandrels precisely flattened on one side to exact tolerance at competitive cost
- End rounding: simple deburring, chamfering or precise spherical radii.
- Passivating and polishing
- Coatings with PTFE and parylene for enhanced lubricity and release
- Annealing for enhanced flexibility and certified ductility
Braiding and Assemblies
Focused on the custom fabrication of miniature components and subassemblies for the medical device industry, DSA's principal is specialized in braiding technology, wire and filament assembly.
- Braiding in continuous or discrete lengths in wire sizes to below .001". Customer requirements for surface coverage, braid angle, expansion ratio, porosity, pick count gradients and material combinations guide production.
- Unique shaped wire assemblies and arrays using silver-soldering, brazing, welding, adhesives and other methods, typically using microscopic assembly.
- Materials include a full range of standard and special metals, as well as non-metallic fibres such as Kevlar, Vectran, Spectra, or polyester which can be incorporated into a primarily metallic design or used exclusively.
High-Pressure Procedure Balloons
DSA represents the world's leading OEM manufacturer of high pressure balloons, specializing in the design, development and manufacture of ultra-high strength, thin-walled balloons for dilatation procedures. Their patented PET balloons are optically clear and transmit light over a very broad spectrum, including Nd:YAG lasers.
Balloon fabrication begins with precision in-house extrusion capability including an ultra-fine filtration process. Balloons are manufactured from PET and other proprietary polymers in sizes ranging from 0.5 to 40mm in diameter by any working length. Virtually any burst pressure can be produced, but typical ratings are from 6 to 31 bars (90 - 450 psi). Wall thickness may be as thin as 0.00015", and tensile strength to 60,000 psi may be produced. (Sample)
Silicone Rubber Balloons
In the proper application, balloons fabricated from silicone rubber are the gold standard for reliability, elasticity and biocompatibility. Recent developments in Class VI rubber include extrusion grade silicones with elasticity in excess of 1400%.
These balloons may be LIM, compression molded, dipped, blow molded or extruded depending on your requirements and design. Our FDA registered, ISO-9001 certified manufacturer can supply either the balloons alone for in-house assembly or provide complete contract assembly, including fabrication, bonding, reinforcement and screen-printing.
Other Polymeric Balloons
Please contact us with your requirements for balloons made from materials such as C-Flex, urethane, Pebax, polyamide, and multi-layered polymers.
We are proud to offer the industry's most technologically diverse selection of coatings and surface modification technologies for both medical and industrial applications. If you need to reduce wear, improve lubricity, enhance radiopacity, dope or alter the surface of your metals or polymers for any reason, we can assist in finding the right technological solution at an appropriate cost.
- Hydrophilic Coatings
- Hydrophobic, Silicone-Based Coatings
- Titanium Nitride (TiN) Coatings
- Radiopaque Coatings
- Ceramic Coatings
- Anti-Microbial Coatings
- Ion Implantation
- Radioactive Coatings
- PTFE Coatings
- Parylene Coatings
We represent a variety of manufacturers to supply standard and custom materials for converters and die-cutters, as well as tapes and transfer adhesives for special industrial and medical applications. We would appreciate the chance to work with you in association with our network of stocking distributors throughout the West.
- Silicone adhesive system tapes for powder coating applications, circuit boards and electronics manufacturing, splicing and other manufacturing challenges.
- Silicone transfer adhesive (.002") for application without primers or surface preparation
- Acrylic transfer adhesives for optical, graphics, nameplate, and high-performance industrial applications
- Heat and solvent activated dry film adhesives in polyester, polyamide, nitrile-phenolic, co-polymer, and urethane formulations
- Protective films: very low tack, removable polyester films to protect aluminum, stainless steel, nameplates, and instrument panels during production, storage, and handling
- Printable label stock in PVC, polyester, and polyimide in a variety of adhesive formulations for both graphic and extreme temperature applications
- Skin contact adhesives coated on a wide range of substrates
- Adhesive coated foams
- Polyester films
- Polycarbonate films
- Flame-retardant polycarbonate
- Hard-coated polyester, polycarbonate, and PETG
- Rigid vinyl, HIPS, PETG
Laminates manufactured using heat and pressure to produce an incredibly high-strength bond.
Molding, Modification & Laser Micromachining
DSA offers technologies to produce components and assemblies which are tailored to your requirements: from silicone O rings to complex catheter assemblies and 3D microstructures.
- Catheter Assemblies
- Mesh or braid
- Tubing assemblies
- Molded parts
Metal tube micromachining (stent components)
In nitinol or stainless steel our principals offer precise execution of your designs and specialized manufacturing solutions. Feature sizes of under 50 microns with precise tolerances are achievable.
Compression, transfer, blow molding and LIM (Liquid Injection Molding) for all medical and industrial applications in silicone rubber, Viton® and other elastomers. Medical grade materials are molded in a Class 10,000 certified clean room at an FDA registered, ISO-9001 facility. Molded parts may be combined in complete assemblies with tubing or other components. O rings can be manufactured from 0.020" ID to over 120 inch diameters with exacting tolerances.
Click here for a complete materials list.
For more information contact David Schnur Associates Inc.